Monday, September 17, 2018



A MIDNIGHT SPRINT


Deep into the night, ran at break neck speed,
Chasing me furiously, were a dozen men in greed. 

Beating Bolt's record effortlessly,
Managed to free from their hold,  relentlessly.

Sprinted ahead, paying no heed,  
In hot pursuit, they were unwilling to cede. 

Darted on like wind, went up  bucking,
They fell far behind huffing and puffing.

Around the corner behind the alley,
Jumped across railtracks edging the valley. 

Gushed through meadows under the moonbeams,
Crossing puddles, coalesced into shallow streams.

Shaking them off I entered a thick jungle,
Laden with thorns, covered by bramble.  

Tearing through bushes, brushing away thistle,      
That's when I heard a very faint whistle.

Turning around, saw in dull moonlight cast, 
They were by now catching up fast. 

Closing in on me, driving in a jeep,
I bounded and took one giant leap.

Across a moss ridden marsh,
With my breathing getting harsh. 

Panting and rushing, 
Slipping and sliding.

As a sprinter in his last lap,
Broke into a fierce gallop. 

Deep into the woods, spotted a clearing,
Raced towards an old dilapidated dwelling.

Inside were found a dozen odd brute,
No sooner did the jeep follow suit. 

Shocked by law-keepers inside their domain,
Falcons fully tattooed, were packing cocaine. 

Men at work for the drug cartel,
Police fired shots in the air to quell.  

With my lead, they rounded up the guilty,
Another routine night of myself  being snooty.

Aiding in detecting their contraband booty,
A Malinois K9, that was me, on duty. 


© Gomathi Mohan

No comments:

Post a Comment